Great news. Sports & Spinal Albury Osteopaths have shockwave. In fact, we have the only shockwave machine with over 30 level 1 which demonstrate positive outcomes. Most importantly, it has been demonstrated as a safe treatment option.
What is Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy?
Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT), otherwise known as Shockwave Therapy, uses high energy sound waves that are transmitted via a probe through the skin and dispersed outwards into the underlying tissue. This is believed to induce increased blood flow and metabolic activity around the site of pain accelerating the healing process. At the very least it effectively reduces pain from this area.
What conditions can ESWT treat?
ESWT has been proven effective in treating stubborn conditions that typical conservative management has failed in resolving. These conditions include, but are not limited to:
- Plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Gluteal tendinopathy
- Hamstring tendinopathy
- Patella tendinopathy
- Tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis)
- Shin splints
- Osgood Schlatter’s disease
- Calcific tendinitis of the shoulder
- Rotator cuff tendinopathy
As mentioned previously, there are numerous published scientific studies which demonstrate positive outcomes. Most importantly, it has been demonstrated as a safe treatment option.
Our machine is the only one FDA approval for treatment of plantar fasciitis.
How many treatments will I require?
This differs between individuals and various injuries. A typical treatment course is between 3-5 sessions to gain a successful result. Generally, we expect immediate improvement from their first shockwave therapy session. With the second treatment, the pain should further reduce and by the third treatment there should be a significant decrease in pain, which is long lasting. We also provide our patients with specific strengthening and stretching exercises to aid in the shockwave treatment with the aim of achieving excellent long-term results.
How does Radial Shockwave Therapy work?
- Increases circulation: improved supply of oxygen and nutrients to increase healing
- Reversal of chronic inflammation: restoring the body’s normal healing processes
- Stimulation of collagen production: healing injured tissue and making it stronger
- Reduces ‘Substance P:’ pain relief from reducing the concentration of this pain mediating chemical at the injury site